February 15, 2005

Superman's Motives

"But that ignores the undeniable fact that the Gen-X and Gen-Next audience I cater to as a comics writer perceive the world around them as far more dangerous, far more unfair and far more screwed up than my generation ever did. To them, and probably more accurately so than the child in me would like to believe, their world is one where unrestrained capitalism always wins, where politicians always lie, where sports idols take drugs and beat their wives, and where white picket fences are suspect because they hide dark things."

a cynical, unfair indictment of the kids that i know - but i only work with kids, i don't stereotype them. The article is actually a pretty good read, especially for comic book fans and SMOF.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think the author is indicting the younger generations, I think he's indicting the world they are growing up in.

And certainly, his audience of comic book fans have a darker view of the world.