January 24, 2006

Keys

I know that i'm way howdt there thinking when i can no longer track where i left my keys. It seems that as more and more creativity overwhelms the bypass routs, the mundane tasks get abdicated. But losing keys is an insta-crisis, especially when you live in the boonies and have to drive everywhere to get anywhere. Which is why i really like the net - i can do library research at three in the morning, if i so choose.

Keys also get lost during times of frustration. Lately, it has been tough to consult on direction with people that will provide valid criticism rather than people telling me what they think I wish to hear. Too many people have become too condescending without really listening or engaging their brains. Science knowledge lies in the approach to science, not just the focus of interest. I am interested in the mechanism by which people conduct their science, not the specifics of what their science is about. It becomes about the scientist rather than about the research, when the focus is publish or perish. However - i have enough to say that i'd better publish, because i can't keep track of my keys until i do a major brain dump.

1 comment:

Vache Folle said...

I have become more reliant over the years on memory stored outside my head. Habit is one way of storing memory in the external world. I habitually put my keys in the same place every day, so I never have to remember them. There they are on the counter as I am walking out the door. How handy.

I also keep a substantial part of my memory in my wife's brain.

I used to think that lost keys were a validation of the Many Worlds Theory. I had simply slipped into an alternate universe where the only difference was where I put my keys.