January 17, 2006

The voice of 20th century science speaks

E.O. Wilson is right up there with Fritjof Capra on my list of respectable people in the world of conservation biology. This editorial yesterday lays howdt the dichotomy of science v religion. Essentially, Wilson is asking for non-believers to take science as another religion. Agree to disagree and not have to believe. But I really wonder if Wilson has access to verifiable facts that the rest of us do not have access to – because both his fundamental conclusions are leaps. Most people would quibble about the second one accepting random mutation as the mechanism on a number of counts, but the first has me amazed. I guess that while I agree that biology does follow the laws of physics and chemistry – I do not believe that we have these laws right yet.

No comments: