March 10, 2006

Balderdash - just add water

I love it. The economists of the Wall Street Journal are now informing their public readership that well, science doesn't know jack sh*t about water, the most basic substance on earth. The Structure of Water Isn't Certain After All; Marketers Take Note March 10, 2006; Page B1. I would bet that 1) the conventional wisdom is wrong, 2) this article is wrong, 3) water is versatile and can do things many ways, depending on the surroundings. But it is a different concept for most people that it can be anything other than what they were taught in chemistry class. I believe that ‘bound’ water has much different properties than a glass of water and that the first modicum of salt added to the water changes the physical chemistry completely. I would post the entire article on my blog, but no reason to mess with copyright law.
I find the arrogance of the WSJ journal to be astonishing. Nobody should give this article a lick of credit - it is on a topic they are unfamiliar with in a source that has no science readership, per se, and no peer review. I would bet that the science writer has a BS that required half a dozen chem courses and feels she is an expert on the topic. Remember, ex means former and you know what a spurt is.

No comments: