January 29, 2007

Keys

I misplaced my keys for a bit this morning, and it got me to thinking about how many things i can get into with the keys on my keychain. That set me off on where i got so many keys and why i have them and what they are used for. I once lost a set of keys in the trunk of my car for about four years, and when i found them, most of the keys were moot. I had replaced the important ones and forgotten about why i even carried the unimportant ones. Some were from a past job, one was to a padlock that had long since been clipped. I wonder how many fewer keys i can carry with me now - and whether to label the ones that i have to think about for the use. It's too bad we have to have so many locks to protect ourselves - it just generates an overabundance of keys.

In another sense - keys are the most important functions in the system. The key concept is the one that is the focus of the lecture. The key issue is the one who's resolution will have bearing on the resolution of other issues, so that the dominoes fall in line once the toughest task has been engaged and settled. The keystone state, pennsylvania was right in the middle of the new nation, just as the keystone is at the top of the arch. When we whittle down the all to the net, the key concepts are the ones that we keep coming back to.

Is consistency a key issue? Is material the key? Form and function, chaos and order, black and white - how do you know where to focus attention to have it be useful at a key location? It all depends on the goals - so are the goals the key? Or is motivation a key? Reward? Penalty? Who can say what is key any longer - especially since there is very little common that we share in common - including vision. Who has the vision of the future that we wish to grasp? Is that a key? A key for what? To unlock a door to imagination? Or to accomplish work? Is what is key for you, also key for me? Can somebody key me in? I'm howdt standing in the queue - wondering whether rational is practical? I guess that i have only so much time, so i had better key in on the point.

Words have many meanings - lewis carroll had many different characters putting Alice through her paces as she faced a skewed world. Perhaps we dwell too much on keys and not enough on the experience itself, rather than the outcome. Sure, we like good outcomes, but the journey is most of the game.

I found my keys, it's time to go.

No comments: