March 12, 2007

Small Numbers

In reading all the points of view in the areas of my interest, i found that i blurred at the big numbers billion and trillions that get thrown around routinely in the press as measures of comparison. In the things that attempt to relate significance, the bigger the number, the more boggling the concept. So when i look at my own personal accounting, keeping balance in the small share of the pie that i get takes way way too much of my time focus and effort. When Ron Paul, candidate for president, calculates that we each owe $175,000 toward future promised entitlements, my eyes glaze over and i decide that i want to get on my pony and ride into the sunset. I no longer feel the urge to balance my checking account.

My life is daffodils and baby bunnies. Like most, people, i can only comprehend numbers as big as twenty - ten fingers and ten toes. Get much bigger than that and we need a whole lot of abstract thinking. When we try to make ends meet under the current system, the cost of living is greater than the means to earn the living.

Several thoughts strike me as moving toward the proper direction in what i read this morning.
Mike lays out the cost of outsourcing personal safety, Retta developes inner peace concepts and Per suggests simpler levels of focus. It all follows well with the ideas of lifting off the uberstructure completely before communities fail miseably. Allow us to reform components of infrastructure from a grass roots level based on immediate community need, rather than crating the machines up and sending them overseas to cheaper labor. Works much better for me than bombing the planet into submission and irradiating it with nucluar waste in the form of spent ammo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A life of daffodils and baby bunnies sounds delightful.

A little chocolate would be a good addition, too.