June 16, 2009

Dizzy Thinking

I have been having some problems with a recent equilibrium shift. Sometimes when i stand vertical, I feel that my plane is skewed off center. This causes me to be a little bit dizzy, so i prefer not to drive a vehicle or operate machinery. It does not effect my ability to think, therefore i have been exploring some new directions of application.

My focus has been on the science of natural resources. In doing science, we like to hold as many of the variable constant as we can, such that we can observe the interactions between the forces that we wish to see. The problem with this is that by holding a variable constant, we affect the dynamics of the system in an unusual manner - variables are never constant in nature.

By spending time out with nature, we can observe a myriad of ways that nature addresses different challenges. The garden grows differently when there is major weed competition as opposed to when time is spent to control the overgrowth. The amount of water is not constant - flood irrigation makes it very wet then when the water is off, very dry. We can look at places where things grow and see that there are many differences between the outcomes. Good record keeping is essential.

This philosophy is addressed separately in an essay by Butler Shaffer - the cows are producing too much methane and need to be controlled by the people pushers. A highly interesting concept indeed. The environmentalists do not own the science; they cannot pick and choose the facts that they wish to observe. The time has come to recheck our facts and our approach to control
.

2 comments:

Sky Captain said...

Inner ear infection Len.
I was driving to an interview three years ago, and felt like I was going uphill. When I got out of the car I could barely stand.

Doc said...

thanks - i seem to be better now