May 23, 2012

Telling

There are things that I can change and other things that i just have to grin and bear.  One of the latter things is being told what to do.  I am a grown up human bean and i do not need to be told what i need to do.  If i cannot figure it out by myself, i know to ask. 
I was on a conference call today when one of the speakers started telling us about how humans can be better by working to enhance nature.  Such vanity.  We have got the idea of how to become legends in our own minds very well.
There is a big difference between teaching and telling.  I think the distinction is totally lost on the Merikan populace.  They like being told what to do; it seems to relieve them of responsibility for inane actions.  A lot of the folks on the conference call were there to see how they could create numbers of followers rather than empowering the other callers.  Our mind set needs work.
I wonder why marketers have no respect for the value of other people's time.  If I wished to be sold something, i would go to a market where i could obtain the good or service.  You do not need to tell me about it.  The art of telling is something past story tellers had mastered, but today seems like more gab.  I prefer to be polite, but when you cannot get a word in edgewise, you just have to hang up.
Part of the change in the country is that we are going to have to give people more respect and stop telling them what they have to do.  Nobody has to do anything, except die and pay taxes.  The latter is not even an absolute - just a convenience to keep the thugs from the door.
Now, if it is fortune telling ...

Namaste'  Doc

No comments: