June 23, 2012

A path between two points in Browserville

   Trust and Change are integrally related - you know that you have to change when you lose trust.  The world is a smaller place as the lifestyle contracts - the whirled is a larger place when you are left outside the circle of contraction.  Choose where you wish to be and get there before the changes become more difficult to negotiate.  The old game is over - you cannot play it and win, unless you cheat and if you cheat, you still can't win.  Random chaos overpowers super-tight order - do the yin-yang math.
   I had a major computer meltdown yesterday.  If i read the tea leaves correctly, many people will experience the same challenge, so allow me to explain.
   I clicked on the Adobe flash player update icon flashing in the lower right corner of my screen.  I do this because i trust adobe products and i have done this before with no major ramifications.  The reader is absolutely necessary for pdf file use and acrobat is a useful program.  Even luddites use some technology - used to be certain brand names implied quality - now only the last four letters function - lied.
   Okay, download, reboot, go play on the internet - something feels different.  I like to listen to Pandora - there is a problem hooking up my player.  Please wait.  I left the window open, got distracted, didn't think about it.  Later, i just clicked it closed - it never linked.  
   I decided to shift out to see what was new at the network site - no videos.  The player was there, the background was blank.  Went to you-tube and every link was the same - some missed connection.  I rebooted the machine and still no player interaction.  But i did notice that my anti-virus had gone red instead of the usual green.  Okay - run it and get an error message.
  Hmmm - well, i scan often and realized that the adobe player that i loaded in the morning might be the problem, so i went back to a previously saved copy of my op system/hard drive.  Took a little while, but this is a good thing to do every so often - especially if you have to update your virus protection anyway.  So i walked away and allowed the computer to do its thing and after a couple of hours, the 150 MB of downloads and upgrades were in the machine and all was well.
   Well, well, well, my cat fell in the well ... all was not well.  I opened the firefox browser to check on things and no flash connections.  I opened the chrome browser and all the music, videos and files were totally acceptable.  Okay - remove firefox, reboot, reinstall firefox, problem fixed.  Only as soon as the computer went off - there was microsh*t with their 15 upgrades that will happen.  If you turn your computer off, you break your operating system and ray guns come out to flash light in your eyes and they call in the drones because you messed with a microsh*t product.  Almost worse than Monstroscity, the ag firm.
   So 45 minutes later, I reinstall firefox and no fix.  I am now a chrome user.  It appears that google has taken over yet again, by working with Adobe to slip a mickey to the firefox browser.  If flash does run - the browser will be history rather quickly.  Of course, this is all speculation on my part and i have no grok of what is going on in the background.  I know, i just wanted access to my computer and the fox wasn't guarding the henhouse.  Industrial Disease.
   Namaste'   doc

No comments: