June 05, 2012

Why Books

When you look at media, you want to be entertained.  There should be a carry away for the use of the time that you spend - after all who wants to waste their time when there are important things to do.  And there are important things to do, aren't there?  After all, we are in such a hurry to get there and then when we find we are here, then what?  Well - just watch the same sitcom again for the fiftieth time, right?  Right!  Bloody well right.  Ya know, ya got a right to say.

Oh - pardon me.  Supertramp on the mind.  I enjoy reading, and i have to make time to read real books.  I was catching up on my overload from Monday and was rereading the Leibowitz society recent post.  I once found my corner of the sky and set up the base - the description became Existence and i am no longer of that depth of ilk.  It was fun, i learned a lot, many things happened, patterns began to show - i changed the script - writer's prerogative.

So my response to a simple question on which books - the books you keep depend on your focus in life.  You need to keep the books that you will refer to, or that describe a complex situation to the point where you really grok the concept.  I like to have a general book that is state of the art to my current knowledge in every science area peripheral to my field, chemystery.

My best book is The Nature of the Chemical Bond by Linus Pauling.  I had the book on the shelf in my lab the day the man, Linus Pauling walked into my lab looking for Dr. Yoke and left me in awe three hours later - motivated to succeed.  Never struck me to ask for an autograph - i was swept in the moment of time.  I also got to ride a subway with Harry Grey - the Nobel laureate from Stanford on the way to a conference in the late 80's - before he was the man.

I write prolifically, but i do not publish well.  The text of Existence really required an editor that was not through the writer's eyes.  That is how one learns - by doing something that is beyond the scope of current ability.  It takes practice - hours of doing the same thing and looking at it in different ways.  Every day is the first day, but yesterday was necessary to make it to tomorrow.  So Be Here Now - which was a prize, is no longer on the home shelf - so many good books were left behind.  Treasures abound to be found in the new world. let the old one go.

Namaste'  doc

PS - the concept of time, when reminiscing in the current lifestream history is allowed use of the fluxional concept time.  The clock that measures time of day and pins in the 24/7 needs to be released - i prefer the mayan time, but what do i know? ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled upon your blog -- love your thoughts, wisdom and take on life. Like ripples on the surface of a pond, know that you are reaching the other side...

Best,
Russ