November 14, 2004

Sports and science

Entered into a conversation with Robert Leroy Wilson on his blog site Independent Country www.independentcountry.blogspot.com. He made a comment about Roger Clemens and sustained career performance. The follow-up got me thinking on sports and science again, but I felt my rant should be on my own site.

Einstein talked about relativity and moving the frame of reference. Our current system lets us leisurely watch sporting games, between well tuned gladiators with scorekeeping and records providing the history of context. As a baseball fanatic, I grew up on a never ending stream of sports information.

At one point in my career, I was at Washington and Jefferson College broadcasting college football over WJCR, the college radio station. I had bagged pre-med because I didn't like the other people in my classes and had to decide between sports and science for a career path. This was Curt Flood era. Who knew that sports would hit the big time and science would lose all respect, including self-respect?

Now, the society is in trouble, because the box we build around us is based on unproductive leisure like sports. However, if we can keep our sports models and apply them in other areas, science, politics, civics ; we can get people thinking again in a novel framework that opens up unlimited options. Cooperative competitions at a community level. Have schools measuring and weighing and comparing options on all sorts of frame of reference.

Werk howdtside da baax! Collect information, sort it and count it. Live it for a few moments and before too long, curiosity becomes a habit. explore Cause and Effect. but don't forget Alice's little white rabbit.

dr lenny

No comments: